Search

Passion Montréal - Chemin de Fer / Railroad




PASSAGES A NIVEAU - RAILROAD CROSSINGS


On November 19, 1847, the Montreal-Lachine railway line was inaugurated at the old station located on rue Bonaventure (now rue Saint-Jacques), near the corner of rue Peel. It was built to bypass the Lachine Rapids. The “La Minerve” newspaper reports that 250 people are present for the first departure. The 8 mile (13 km) journey crosses Little Burgundy, crosses what is now Notre-Dame Street and passes through the "Village des Tanneries" (Saint-Henri). The arrival of the railroad in Montreal also coincided with that of the first telegraph line, a new technology first used by rail companies. Still today, a modified series of railroad tracks run through Saint-Henri.

These two crossings, situated on Saint-Ambroise and Saint-Augustin streets and on De Courcelle, are an integral part of daily life in Saint-Henri as they have been for over 150 years.




Le 19 novembre 1847, la ligne ferroviaire Montréal-Lachine est inaugurée à l’ancienne gare située rue Bonaventure (aujourd’hui rue Saint-Jacques), tout près du coin de la rue Peel. Elle a été construite pour contourner les rapides de Lachine. Le journal “La Minerve” rapporte que 250 personnes y sont pour le départ. Le trajet, d’une distance de 8 milles (13 kilomètres), traverse la Petite-Bourgogne, croise l’actuelle rue Notre-Dame et passe par le « Village des Tanneries » (Saint-Henri). L’arrivée du chemin de fer à Montréal coïncide aussi avec celle de la première ligne de télégraphe, une nouvelle technologie utilisée d’abord par les compagnies ferroviaires. Encore aujourd'hui, une série de voies ferrées traverse Saint-Henri.

Ces croisements, situés aux rues Saint-Ambroise et Saint-Augustin, et sur la rue De Courcelle, font partie intégrante de la vie quotidienne à Saint-Henri comme ils le font depuis plus de 150 ans.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All